10.22.2006

Psychedelic experiment: 'Alone in the Silent Woods'



Song: Alone in the Silent Woods


Session Date:
Sunday October the 22th 2006


Recording Gear:
Tascam 488 MKII used as mixer; PC with Audacity; Behringer C1 condensator mic; SM-58 clone mic


Music Gear: Yairi Spanish guitar; Takamine Spanish guitar (both with steel strings); Godin Radiator electric guitar; Vox mini-amp


Log: This song was based on a sample I created from a guitar track. I repeated the 'sample' over and over again and used it as the base for the song. It wasn't too hard to come up with a melody for the vocals. The bassy vocal creates a special effect. I tried to make a drum-track playing live on the drumcomputer, but that didn't work out. So I just added some guitar parts. I played around with some effects in Audacity. And when I had mixed the whole thing, I realised I forgot the bass. I've been trying to add a decent bass track, but somehow I can't find the perfect bassline and everything that isn't perfect seems to waste the song...
You can regard this song as a first experiment with repeating self-created samples. The song doesn't feel/sound finished yet. And it's got a bit of an eerie touch to it, doesn't it?

Lyrics: I'm so tired but I cannot sleep / I've been workin' like Barry Blue /I'm gonna dive into the poignant deep / I'm gonna walk on the oldest shoe / When I rise, when I fall and weep / I'm so full of her starlight eyes / I walk alone in the silent woods / Forever banned from this paradise

3 comments:

Marten said...

Well, thanks, doctor Emmet. You know what it is: I was using Tuareg, a potentially great tracker, but somehow the program can't handle samples longer than one measure. See, 'cause if it could, it would be perfect, 'cause the program has a cool on-board drumcomputer (as well as a synth). Now I did the sample handling in Audacity, which means I'm cutting my samples by ear. That makes it very hard to put a steamin' beat under it, since the sample most probably isn't an exact number of measures. Are you gettin' me Emmet? I sure hope you do, mister. 'Cause I ain't no teacher all for nothing as I bloody well hope.

Marten said...

(The last sentence needs close examination).

Marten said...

I'm just hopin' that my capacities as a teacher guarantee that I'm able to make you understand what I'm sayin'. Know what I'm sayin'?

And yeah, that remark about 'oozin' 'c&w' ' did hurt... But us alt-country-folks is used to that kind of badgering.

Regarding your tips, it might be safest to say what we say in the Dutch 'vergadercultuur':

'We nemen het mee'.

About Me

Christian, husband, theologian, singer-songwriter. I don't like dogs. I do love cats, especially my own cat, Nino (although the cat regards itself more as being my wife's cat..).