10.22.2008

Experimental and romantically desperate: fourteen and a half glorious minutes: 'Into The House Of Solid Souls'


Album: Into The House Of Solid Souls
Songs: 1. Old And Buried In Sorrows; 2. Naked In The Sea; 3. Messy Mezzo; 4. Into The House Of Solid Souls; 5. He Fell In Love With A Patient Whore; 6. A Welcome Song For Little Sunshine; 7. The Messianic Age; 8. For A Good War, You Can Wake Me Up In The Middle Of The Night; 9. Never Been No Hiker; 10. Good Morning Crocodile
Session Date: The recording of #5 dates from Dec. 2007; that of #6 from April 2008. All other songs except #8 (which was recorded around May or perhaps June 2008) were first recorded on fourtrack around June or perhaps July 2008. I edited and mixed all songs in October 2008. The process took a couple of weeks, with intervals of course.
Recording Gear: Fostex fourtrack; cheap dynamic mic or semi-SM58 mic, can't remember; Audacity; headset-mic
Music Gear: Takamine acoustic guitar; Casio SA-1 keyboard
Log: This was mostly a project of fourtrack-songs that I'd left, but have tried to revive with excessive digital editing. I took a couple of strange runaway songs on board as well. Jeroen Breebaart saved my ass once again with his brilliant plugins.
Lyrics: [1. Old And Buried In Sorrows] I never thought I would be here / Amazed and bewildered / I now that you /Can disappear and suddenly strike me / Intrinsically mild / But like fire / That burns to make sacred / You've made me your child / Take away / The greed and the hatred / Oh, oh / I never thought I'd be so old / And buried in sorrows / I try to find instant delight / Like there's no tomorrow / Hurried and wild / I'm on fire / Blow out like a candle /
You've made me your child / For you I can't / Be too hard to handle [2. Naked In The Sea] Naked in the sea / Stung by a sacred bee / Leafs whisper goodbye / 'Don't you even try / To die / Unsaved' [3. Messy Mezzo] [4. Into The House Of Solid Souls] Into the house of solid souls / Swim in a bath of burning coals / I close my eyes in disbelief / Enclosed in a garden filled with grief / And I'm afraid my life has ended / I have com here to just let go / I'm haunted by your love offended / I could just shake my feet / I know / Shrunken back and disarranged / I just wish that nothing'd ever changed / You are real and you can laugh / Don't know how to lose all that I have / And I'm afraid my life has ended / I have com here to just let go / I'm haunted by your love offended / I could just shake my feet / I know [5. He Fell In Love With A Patient Whore] Ooh, not a trace of delight / And the face of [sorrow] shining bright / Scorched heights of [hell] with the flags of the sweet / [Sunbird] burnt down to swart / Swallow and wag / Manhandled and put in a bag / Oh, the sun ain't shining no more / He fell in love with a patient [whore] / Oh, with a patient whore [6. A Welcome Song For Little Sunshine] Wake up / Little sunshine / The world's been dark / For such a long time / You are welcome / Welcome in our home / Little sunshine / Little sunshine won't you come / Won't you come? [7. The Messianic Age] Won't let down my hope / For the messianic age / Life that I can't grope / Like a torn out final page / I'm a man / Filled with blood / And I can / Talk to God / Searching for the start / With the finish far behind / Brainboard full of darts / There's a multitude of signs / I can't miss / My last train / Here them hiss / Fear and pain / I shouldn't fear / But I do / Shouldn't look back / But I do / Shouldn't look down / But I do / Training me again / For the road that lies ahead / Unexpected friends / Make me feel I'm not dead yet / I'm alive / But I'm bruised / Life or death / I can't chose / I shouldn't fear / But I do / Shouldn't look back / But I do / Shouldn't look down / But I do [8. For A Good War, You Can Wake Me Up In The Middle Of The Night] Shadows're gonna stone me / Truly I don't know how to reverse my skin / Bable boy gone to the shore / To dance in the moonlight with the wolves / Oh, how cruel / Is that ego on top / For the ego on wheels / [Drop me a line / Father ] / Thirsting for war / For a good, good, for a good, good, for a good, good, for a good, good war / Yeah [9. Never Been No Hiker] If this is only / A test for Meite / Gonna like me Bobby / You don't know I'm so sad / In the world I suffer / Never been no hiker / Never been no hiker.. [10. Good Morning Crocodile] Not heat / The cold sun / Empty nutrition / I bleed / Am not one / Roll me away / No hiding place for me / No sugar-coated eyes / The snowman holds me back / I've come too far / Trembling / Good morning / Crocodile belly / Mortuary / Thunderstruck ally / Good morning / Crocodile belly / Mortuary / Thunderstruck ally / Good morning Croc!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sublime subsequential on your previous EP's Meite. An even more diverse collection of songs, yet still very consistent. You manage to give each of your individual EP's their own unique sound and feel. A development I see since "Cool World", is that this experimenting with the mood of your records has become a major part of your musical creation more and more with every release of a new EP.

On the other hand I definitely hear new song structures on this one, a slightly different aproach and also a new sort, more melancholic, mood setting. I love it, since I always had a strong preference for your more gentle and gloomy recordings. Do you recognize this shift from your previous works?

Naked in the Sea is a brilliant song. And again, all tracks shine out in their unexpected turns and twists. Track 1,3,7 I allready knew in a different form, those are also fantastic! I learned that U's grow stronger in time, much hidden beauty is yet to be discovered...

Marten said...

Thanks a mill for the feedback, j. I appreciate it enormously.
Yeah, I recognize the shift. Autobiographical currents involved. And fresh approaches. Though it's all hidden in my chest. Unconscious treasure.

About Me

Christian, husband, theologian, singer-songwriter. I don't like dogs. I do love cats, especially my own cat, Nino (although the cat regards itself more as being my wife's cat..).