10.06.2008

Nine-Minute Constellation of Lo-Fi Songs: 'The Fallen Hemisphere'



Song:
The Fallen Hemisphere

Session Date: Between September 20th and October 6th 2008

Recording Gear: Cheap headset-mic, PC, Audacity

Music Gear: Talamine acoustic guitar, Farida D-10E western guitar

Log:
Fed up with having to re-install my recording equipment because of a bug that has appeared ever since I moved my stuff to another room, I decided to say ^(&*$-it and just do some improvized recordings with that good ol' headset-mic. I edited the stuff in Audacity with a minimal amount of effects because even most of my plug-ins were gone after the move. Anyway, here is a nine-minute constellation of songs that I think fit the weather.

Lyrics: Hello, papa / I'm a hellhound / In love with the tides / I just wish I could recall my number / 'Cause now I have to hide / Between the sandhills /
.....
She was standing in the doorway / Murmuring about gold / Things that I have never told her / I could only go away
.....
Hovering just above the ground / Sergeant Impulse keeps on letting me down / Patiently keeping an eye on the bathroom-door / She might come out and slap my map to the floor ! / Drunken stars, please step to the fore / I have only heard of you tenthousand times before / If you hover black between black between twinkle Jack specks / Drunken stars, please.. / Please, step to the fore..
.....
You said be silent / But silent was the last thing that I could be / Escape to the city with a bag full of garlic in our bones / Rise up full moon / With the flickering of bloodstained teeth below / You said / I want it to be slow and special / Like an evil snail
.....
If I could never cherish you / I would go back / And try to dig up the truth / Holding you and me aloof / We walked a pretty while together / You were naked / And I was all alone / Terrorized by inner drones / And if you'd rather be / Untied and free / Why don't you eat your pain / Take it all and all away / And if you are / Superfar / I thought that we could be best friends / But I didn't / Know about your withered hand / Buried in a rental tent / I choked below the yellow ceiling / She was smoking / Smoking under silver skies / Exploded into distant cries / And if you'd
rather be / Untied and free / Why don't you eat your pain / Take it all and all away / And if you are / Superfar / Away from the enemy / Take the enemy away

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just had a first listen. I am a sucker for tracks like Sgt. Impulse, and quite liked the ending as well. The next one (let's call that Rise Up Full Moon) features some trademark acoustic guitar playing by the U-meister. Great new stuff folks, I really enjoyed it. BTW Meite: what the f*#% do you mean "minimal effects" man, ha ha ha.

Marten said...

Thanks, Dr.

Concerning the 'minimal effects': please label under 'hyperunderstatement'.

A general remark:
Thanks to lowered standards and greater memory, the kind of shit that didn't use to survive on your D12 now remains for posterity.

Marten said...

After reconsideration I think I'm able to anser your question about 'minimal effects' more precisely. Knowing bloody well that my brainchild is a plethora of psychedelic effects, I wanted the listener to know that where normally I have a vast array of effects at my disposal, this time I had to do with only a small bunch of digital tools - which of course implies remarkable craftsmanship and mindbending capabilities.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, that does make sense, doesn't it. The "minimal" did not necessarily have anything to do with the way the music was ultimately affected by the effects, you just meant to underline the sheer minimal númber of FX you had at your disposal while creating another masterpiece. Anyway, all kidding aside....I must say I quite like the fact that these recordings were not deleted prematurely. I hope they´ll keap the price of memory low.

About Me

Christian, husband, theologian, singer-songwriter. I don't like dogs. I do love cats, especially my own cat, Nino (although the cat regards itself more as being my wife's cat..).