10.20.2007

'Before the Gates of Answer Flood' : 13 hitlets!



Songs:

1 - Someone Who Didn't Rot Away
2 - Who Cares?
3 - Arrows of Hope
4 - Pageturner
5 - Sugar and Bones
6 - What's a Man Without Eternal Passion
7 - I Was a Happy Clown
8 - The Side-Effects of Jesus Christ
9 - Sing for the Planter of Souls
10 - Before the Gates of Answer Flood
11 - The Emptiness Cage
12 - 'Welbehagen'
13 - Time for a Release

Session Date: September and the first bit of October 2007

Recording Gear: PC using Audacity, Tascam 488 MKII used as a mixer, Behringer C-1 condensator mic, semi SM-58 mic, cheap dynamic mic

Music Gear: Takamine acoustic guitar, Yairi acoustic guitar, Squier bass, percussion stuff, toy xylophone, wind-organ

Log: This was born out of the enthusiasm of beginning something new. I wanted even shorter songs - and lo, I succeeded. With Sunblisters, I arranged the songs in chronological order of recording. Now I've arranged them strategically. It's only 12:47 minutes, but it's meant to seem much longer. There are different atmospheres here: lovely and absurd, cynical and honest.
The cover was created by Jonathan Sterkenburg (thanks pal. And thank your granddad for cooperating.)

Lyrics:

1 - Someone Who Didn’t Rot Away /And if I dream – somebody pinch me - but I don’t feel a thing! / I’m alive with all the hazards of you /And if I cry, it’s because I can’t remember a thing / Of all the miracles that I have seen / Through the curtain / And it is certain / That we die / But hey, hey, hey! / There’s someone who didn’t rot away..


2 - Who Cares? /
Don’t say you’re sorry / When you ain’t / Don’t say: ‘Don’t worry’ / To a saint! / Don’t say anything at all when you got no message for the unrich / Are you sandwhiched? / Between hope and despair / Like everybody cares / But someone does / Yes, he does

3 - Arrows of Hope /
From the city I fled when I lost all my pets / I thought it was a joke.. / I’m a supersad guy with the moon in my eye / And I am always broke / Come to me, arrows.. / In the village of grey I am lost in today / I’d like to travel back / To the years of delight when the future shone bright / I always hit the deck / Come to me, arrows / Of hope..

4 - Pageturner / Don’t wanna hurt nobody / I’m in too much pain / I’m gonna throw a party the day it’s gonna rain / It’s gotta be stopped, and started / Someone open this cage / It’s gotta be robbed or guarded / Someone’s gonna turn the page / I am a simple fellow, all I see is blood.. / I just don’t know why I know that there’s a God / It’s gotta be stopped, and started / Someone open this cage / It’s gotta be robbed or guarded / Someone’s got to turn the page

5 - Sugar and Bones / Riding the waves of a million flies / I’m heading back to this paradise / If you feel cold or cannot sweat / I’m not so bold, I’m just a head / Carry the stones / Oh oh oh / Sugar and bones / Oh oh oh

6 - What’s a Man without Eternal Passion? / You’re extraordinary and afraid that your moment won’t last / All catastrophes in a box, always up to the test / Several sequences later you’re still on the very same spot / All exacerbates when you don’t have a passion from God

7 - I Was a Happy Clown / Rain is falling down on the highways of desire / And the sellers are so tired / Wearing heavy crowns / I have been around / For a short while and I think back / To my schooldays, oh how happy / Yes I was a happy clown

8 - The Side-Effects of Jesus Christ / I’m sick and tired of these crazy meds / They steal and lie and have no regrets / There’s only one medicine / That really works / It’s the Son of God / Who was killed by jerks / Like you and me / But can you handle the side-effects, the heavy side-effects? / Can you handle the side-effects of Jesus Christ?

9 - Sing for the Planter of Souls / With my cold head on the playground / I should just stand here, I suppose / Breathe the air that I still take for granted / If I’m broken, then it be so / I know the one who loves the most / Will never leave the souls that he has planted

10 - Before the Gates of Answer Flood / I’ve entered a new story / The tunnel of a green light / I lingered till she came with force / The night / A dozen teardrops falter / The night is endless and without / A goal / Clap in your hands, it’s appalling! / The shameless way you’re happy to exist

11 - The Emptiness Cage / I need a break here, I step to the side / With a hole in my head, and a knife in my thigh / I feel so lucky, I’m one of the few / With the problems of Mars, yes I do! / Gather together all the flocks of delight / But when you got no mustard well them dogs gonna bite! / There’s sorrow and wisdom in the eyes of a child / But the beggars and tramps have gone wild / Beggars and babies in need of our love / Prisons and parties, keep spending your time / Your time and your money, your sugar and honey / I’m with the emptiness cage!

12 - ‘Welbehagen’ / Pictures of hot chicks abound / If you feel an unclean spirit, cast it out! / All the good things that the Lord has bestowed upon us, we try to steal them away / All my petty sorrows are bizar / My cravings and my longings are at war / I want to feel like a high botherbugger but I’m really just ripping myself apart / He wants to make us feel good / He wants to make us feel good / He wants to make us feel good

13 - Time for a Release /
It’s time for a release / The stars are sighing: ‘please’.. / I’m hardly ever on my knees / I want the honey without the bees and flowers / Trepidation, yes / I hardly can believe that I’m alive / With all that’s hunting me / I hardly can believe what I can see / It’s time for a release / The stars are sighing: ‘please’..


Copyright and attribution: You are free to copy and/or share this album or the songs on it on a strictly non-commercial basis. This album is licensed under a Creative Commons Music Sharing License (Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0) which can be found at the following internet-address: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/deed-music

Cover created by Jonathan Sterkenburg. Thanks!

I used the following sound files from Freesound (http://freesound.iua.upf.edu):
By Spandau: rainoncarroof.wav (http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=40700); by sazman: 070422-cats-sample.wav (http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=34094); by sandyrb: USAT BOMB.wav (http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=35643); by Paracelsus: radio.wav (http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=32266); by ERH: Sweethearts at war.wav (http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=31645); by freesound: Bye_Bye_Claps_ses1.wav (http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=25292)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nummer 6 vind ik mooi. De teksten zijn gaaf, maar ik vind dat je wel mooiere muziek hebt gemaakt.

Marten said...

Ik vind dat ik geen mooiere muziek heb gemaakt. Dit is het toppunt van mijn kunnen. Alles wat ik hierna nog zal maken zal altijd in het niets verzinken vergelijken bij deze weergaloze prestatie.

Anonymous said...

wat een onzin. ik vind het echt een schijtplaat. Geef mij je oude vertrouwde hits maar!

Marten said...

Uiteraard heb ik gelogen. Het liefst zou ik het alles en iedereen, behalve misschien de duivel, naar de zin maken met mijn muziek.

Anonymous said...

Ten eerste: Klaas je bent een ongelofelijke Louis! Ten tweede: Meite, je hebt weer een meesterwerk afgelevert! Bij elke EP die je tot nu hebt gemaakt had iets van, dit is het, nu heeft Meite z'n hoogtepunt bereikt (hoewel ik cool world pas na sunblisters ging waarderen)(zie musicmeter), jarenlange training hebben tot dit resultaat geleid..., maar elke keer als er na een ruime maand weer een nieuwe EP komt valt al het voorgaande in het niet en is dat het meest briljante ooit! Nou, dat is een beetje overdreven, want ik vindt heel veel van je ouwe nummers ook nog steeds heel briljant, maar wat je nu met deze EP nog veel verder vervolmaakt heb dan je twee voorgaande is er een mooi geheel van te maken (heeft waarschijnlijk met je "strategische" methode te maken). Wat ik ook heel mooi vindt is dat er nu ook een nummer is dat de titel van het album draagt, maakt het toch wel speciaal. Briljante hoes trouwens!! Nou mijn inhoudelijke reactie op de muziek: Wat ik bij Sunblisters ook al een beetje had is nu nog veel sterker geworden, door de hele EP heen zit een sterk atmosferische sfeer, heeft waarschijnlijk te maken door allemaal bijzondere audacity effecten, die het allemaal een beetje een bepaald soort echo geven, alsof het uit een hele andere wereld komt. Het mooie aan deze EP is dat de nummers weer een stuk korter zijn geworden - opzich vind ik dat jammer, want dat maakt het wel moeilijker om ze als los nummer te gaan draaien - maar dat je zelfs in die korte nummers een flinke opbouw weet te brengen en er valt in zo'n kort nummer vaak meer te ontdekken dan in een heel lang nummer van een andere artiest. En waar sampling op Sunblisters een flinke brok in de melk te brokkelen heeft gekregen zet je dat hier weer flink door, met weer fantastisch resultaat. Vooral die fragmentjes dat je mensen hoort praten zijn briljant. Momenten die nog in het bijzonder te vermelden waard zijn: Who cares, erg gedurfd, maar die ruis werkt wel heel erg goed, vooral aan het einde; prachtig moonspells achtig geluidje op arrows of hope, lijkt heel ver weg te klinken, een van de hoogtepunten...; Pageturner, vond ik eerst vreselijk, maar nu is het echt zo'n relaxt optimistisch liedje, beetje americana invloeden, die ik wel meer hoor op deze EP, prachtig, als je denkt dat het nummer afgelopen is en dan nog een gitaarsolootje krijgt; sugar en bones zitten volgens mij een paar helemooie audacity effecten in, heel atmosferisch; geniale overgangen tussen nummer 7,8 en 9, lijkt net één nummer; prachtig, sitar-achtig begin van the side effects van Jesus Christ; mooi achtergrodgitaartje komt er halverwege in nummer 9; Before the Gates of Answer Flood: GENIAAL! absolute hoogtepunt, dezelfde soort rust zit erin die in Teasers Pleasers zit, m;n absolute favoriet van jou. Heel mooi hoe je halverwege weer dat prachtige gitaarmeldietje weer terugkrijgt.; WELBEHAGEN: je steekt Andrew Bird naar de kroon met dat fluitmelodietje, heel erg mooi, tweede hoogtepunt; In time for release, de gitaarmelodie en de manier waarop je die hebt bewerkt zou ik haast psychedelisch willen noemen, ook heel cool einde.; allenummers die ik niet heb genoemd zijn ook heel briljant, staat geen enkel zwak nummer op!! Ik denk dat ik maar es ga stoppen, maar ik ben wel zéér benieuwd naar je volgende!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Het enige wat ik wel jammer vind is dat je niet een van die twee andere hoezen hebt genomen, die waren nog veel mooier!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey wat is er hier allemaal gebeurd!

Marten said...

Ik vind het stom als mensen anoniem posten. Ben jij Klaas? Dan kan ik je mening überhaupt niet serieus nemen omdat je geestesziek bent. 'Before the Gates' is een spontaan, creatief product, niet bedoeld om het wie dan ook naar de zin te maken. Wonderlijk genoeg vindt Sytske, die tamelijk kritisch is en wat mij betreft een goede smaak heeft, deze EP leuk en goed. Ook Cornelia L. vond het een prima plaat. Ik wens niet begrepen te worden, en op de één of andere manier begrijpen vrouwen dat vaak beter dan piemeldragers. Lang leve indie!

Unknown said...

sorry meite, was alleen maar een beetje aan het donderjeien .
Zodra ik je ep mooi vind laat ik het je weten + motivatie!

later,
groenteboer

Unknown said...

GLOEIENDE **## ${#!*&^@
wat is dat voor gedonder met die woordverificatie! mijn hele comment naar de filistijnene!

Unknown said...

oh! en dit zet ie er wel op

Anonymous said...

Welbehagen is briljant.

Anonymous said...

Meite U, komt er ooit nieuwe muziek op je web shait?

Beloof je je trouwe fans een nieuwe EP in de toekomst?

Marten said...

Ik werk aan een nieuwe EP, maar sinds mijn PC is verhuist van de nieuwe kinderkamer naar mijn nieuwe werkkamertje zit er een vertaging in Audacity waardoor ik geen nieuwe sporen meer kan opnemen. Schenk me een Mac-mini, en ik overlaad jullie met EP's.

Anonymous said...

Meite, AL je muziek is niet meer te vinden. Fileden heb ze niet meer, jong.

Wat nu?!

About Me

Christian, husband, theologian, singer-songwriter. I don't like dogs. I do love cats, especially my own cat, Nino (although the cat regards itself more as being my wife's cat..).