9.09.2007

The New EP: 'Sunblisters'



Songs:
1 - Rearing Dogs That Never Bark
2 - Solomon's Choice
3 - Post-Euphoric Blunder-Soup
4 - Whatever Happened to My Calling
5 - Maximum Output, Minimum Gain
6 - Secrets of the Night-Air II
7 - The Old Light-Searcher
8 - Moonspells
9 - Funkin' with Cornelia
10 - The Daily Mysery
11 - Waiting for the King

Session Date: Last third of August and first bit of September, 2007

Recording Gear: Tascam 488 MKII, PC using Audacity, Behringer C-1 condensator mic, cheap dynamic mic

Music Gear: Takamine acoustic guita, Yairi acoustic guitar, Squier bass, shakers, Yamaha RY-10 drumcomputer

Log: Rather different from 'Cool World', both musically and lyrically. Short songs again. Used a lot of samples of every day sounds. Recorded in less than a month. Only 'Whatever Happened to my Calling' (original title 'Called for the Job') is an older song that had to stand in for a weaker little brother that died prematurely.
'The Daily Mysery' is not a misspelling.
Reception by small fan base was enthusiastic. Now what do you think of it, world? (Comment!)

Lyrics:
1 -Rearing Dogs that Never Bark [1:15] Questioning the question-marks / Never taking stand / Rearing dogs that never bark / Laugh while shaking hands / Wasn’t cruel otherwise / Had a puff too much / Had a passion to argue / Always feeling too slow / See, believe, if you don’t stop yourself / You’re gonna travel low / On the road to where you find the end / Of everything that grows / Having a good time you suppose / A fatal overdose

2 – Solomon’s Choice [2:10] A Solomon’s choice / Raise your voice / And speak to the terrible boys / Confident stuff / Opened wide / But closed when the going gets tough / I feel fresh tonight / Don’t think that I will ever sleep / Lost my cash tonight / Climbing a mountain way too steep / Warmer than me / All you see/ Are bits of spectacular dreams / I’d like to be/ Far away / From faults and failures today / I feel hot tonight / Don’t think that I will ever sleep / Talk to God tonight / Climbing a mountain way too steep

3- Post-euphoric Blunder-Soup We wondered if it was real after all / The feelings we had were giant and small / Striking us like a power we didn’t know did exist / It was a fortunate explosion / Of disproportional emotions / I wanted to grasp the magical past / Preserve the contact that came with a blast / Muddling in a soup I didn’t know much about / It was an unfortunate exception

4 – Whatever Happened to my Calling [1:26] Haven’t you called me for the job of saving? / Haven’t you been true to the life that you’ve given? / Haven’t I lied to myself and to you? / Haven’t I died to the world to be your son?


5 – Maximum Output, Minimum Gain [1:11] Maximum output, minimum gain / Without you I just can’t sustain / In every season / There is you / Devil-dead-end at the corner of the road / Wish I could push a little button / And implode / You long for love that burns away / Everything else

6 – Secrets of the Night-Air II [1:01] I spend some time with the night / She tells me that everything’s right / But I can’t hear the cries of those / That get hurt / I can’t get out of this train / Of thoughts that drive away pain / Now I can’t hear the voice of him / Who got hurt/ And died to fill the universe / With his life

7 – The Old Light-Searcher [0:57] I’m a silent crow / Waiting for a glistening light / To catch my old eyes / I just wanna grab and to hide it / Don’t ever play no more / I can feel the weight of my bones / I’ve seen too many nights / But I still hope that I will find it

8 – Moonspells [1:20] Once again I hear the church-bells / Hear the living call the dead / I’m swimming in a sea of moonspells / I’m driving around in a bed / And all the pills that make you sober / They’re gonna turn you into an elephant / They’re gonna work until your brain is fried / Might it not be better to turn to God? / Might it not be better to turn to God?

9 – Funking with Cornelia [0:30]

10 – The Daily Mystery [1:48] In the middle of the week I fall down / Lying blinded on the floor / Struck by lightning that has come to turn around / In my mind I see the door / This is how I wish my life would start / Because I’m not as smart as you are / ‘Read your Bible and pray every day’ / But when you fade away, it’s hard / The dishes are waiting for me / Cold and absorbing / Rude and exhausting / I’m building a tower of songs / Their destiny is falling / Gibberish they’re calling to you


11 – Waiting for the King [1:37] Far horizons / Glorious reminders of our hope / Shattered puzzle-solving / Newspaper, coffee, I’m alive! / Don’t you sit down / Forever in an electric chair of fear / The future is waiting / The future of the king who will appear / The binding of the anointed one / Has freed us from our strings / He died a torturous death for us / The creator of all things / And now I wish to praise his name / The living one of old / You love me and I stand ashamed / How could I grow so cold?

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nummer 1: Prachtig 1e nummer.
****

Nummer 2: Prachtig nummer, goed refrein. Goede tekst. Dat stuk waar je een man hoort praten is écht genialiteit ten top! Daarvoor had ik het bijna ***** gegeven.
****

Nummer 3: Héél mooi, heerlijk rustig.
****

Nummer 4: Dikke bagger, vooral dat drumstel ding.
*

Nummer 5: Misschien een goed nummer, maar het doet mij echt totaal niets.
*

Nummer 6: Prachtig begin, mooie samples, goede tekst. Erg mooi einde.
****

Nummer 7: Mooi nummer, gave sample.
****

Nummer 8: Briljant nummer. Práchtig begin!!!! (eerste 4 seconden zijn geniaal). Geweldige samples/effecten. Allesovertreffend einde (sample ofzo?). PRACHTIG!!!!!
*****

Nummer 9: Apart nummer, wel gaaf opzich. Briljant einde (laatste 5 seconden).
**

Nummer 10: Gaaf nummer, vooral dat fluiten erbij. Mooie tekst. Prachtig einde (laatste 10 seconden).
***

Nummer 11: Mooi nummer, vooral na de helft is het echt mooi!
****

Anonymous said...

Echt een briljante EP MEite!
Als je een label oprichtn kun je je muziek op www.MovieMeter.nl zetten hé!
Ik vind dit vele malen beter dan steeds één nummer.
Mijn complimenten!

Anonymous said...

Als je op ,,MP3S'' klikt zie je al je nummers. Zou je dat ook écht kunnen bijhouden? En klopt het helemaal?

Anonymous said...

Meite U, dit is mijn top 10:

1) Moonspells
2) Spinus
3) P-Box Ditty
4) The Inner Dialogues of Toby Teardrop
5) I Am a Refridgerated Mollusk
6) Solomon's Choice
7) A Robber Gone
8) The Final Flattening of Proudheart Hill
9) On a Monday He Stepped Out of His Grave and Went to Work
10) Filling Out Coordinates

Marten said...

Christiaan, je reactie op nr. 4 hoort volgens mij bij de nr. 4 van de pre-release ('Where's My Blood') i.p.v. de uiteindelijke nr. 4 ('Whatever Happened to my Calling'). Klopt dat?

Het bijhouden van de mp3's is niet mijn sterkste kant, ik heb daar weinig zin in. Misschien dat ik mijzelf er binnenkort toe kan overhalen.

Anonymous said...

Meite, dit is het beste dat je tot nog toe hebt geschapen! Er staan een paar ijzersterke nummers op die direct in mijn top5 Meite U nummers komen! Maar Sunblisters is meer dan sterke individuele nummers, het hele EP gebeuren slaat zo goed bij me aan dat alles nog drie keer zo mooi wordt omdat het zo mooi bij elkaar hoort en als geheel een geweldige luistervaring is. Nu denk je misschien: dit is een losgeslagen gek van een fan die totaal kritiekloos alles cool vindt wat jij doet, maar dan heb je het mis. Als ik kritiek had zou ik dat echt wel zeggen, maar ik vind deze EP écht briljant! Hoewel de nummers Teasers Pleasers..., Ink, A robber Gone al tijden behoren tot mijn favoriete nummers aller tijden, was je nooit echt een van mijn favoriete artiesten, omdat ik maar een paar nummers ongekend goed vond, maar vanaf deze EP ben je voor mij nu een serieus te nemen artiest. Misschien nog één kritiekpuntje: Aan het begin van Moonspells(nu al het beste nummer overigens) heb je een ongekend mooi pianoachtige klank. Ik zou het héél erg cool vinden als je van dat nummer een remix maakt waarbij die pianoklank vaker in het nummer terugkomt. Complimenten voor de prachtige hoes trouwens. Kan niet wachten op je volgende EP!

Anonymous said...

nice music dude!

Marten said...

Thanx, thanx.

Ik heb overigens geprobeerd de pianoklank te herhalen, maar de timing was erg lastig en het klonk niet zoals ik wilde.

Het is grappig dat 'Moonspells' zo goed gelukt is, want ik heb het nummer in een zegen en een zucht opgenomen op mijn viersporenrecordertje, beneden in de keuken. Het klonk niet echt ergens op, nogal saai en dof. Wat het nummer echt gered heeft is (naast wat slimme equalizing) een experiment met mijn tape-delay plugin, waarbij ik de stoute schoenen aantrok en voor een mega-spacy delay koos in plaats van voor een subtiele echo.
(Je zou voor de grap het basismateriaal eens moeten horen.)

Anonymous said...

Meite, ben je al begonnen aan je volgende nummer/EP/album?

Marten said...

Neen, ik lijd aan psychische malaise en vind tevens dat ik recht op rust heb na mijn laatste prestatie.

Anonymous said...

Ik denk dat william wallAce zich in zijn graf omdraait als hij ziet dat iemand hem zijn naam spelt als william wallice...!

Anonymous said...

No, I just want Freedom...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Musicmeter idioot!

Anonymous said...

Ik freegje my hurd op ôf ot dyn neie EP noch in keer sil útkomme! Blinder, du hast em toch ollang klear?

Groetenis

Anonymous said...

Sorry dat ik het zo verknal met het Nederlands elftal, maar ik ben er niet echt bij met m'n hoofd aangezien ik ongeduldig wacht op de nieuwe EP van Meite U.

Wanneer komt hij nou uit?!?!?

Anonymous said...

HOELAND GAAT DIT NOG DUREN?

HOELANG MOETE WE NOG WACHTEN?

WAAR BLIJFT DE NIEUWE EP VAN MEITE...

Anonymous said...

Sunblisters. Very cool and different.

Marten said...

Hey, 12311, you made it! Welcome to the Meite U-cult.
And thank you.

About Me

Christian, husband, theologian, singer-songwriter. I don't like dogs. I do love cats, especially my own cat, Nino (although the cat regards itself more as being my wife's cat..).